Think the headline might be wrong? Let’s step back and take a look at some of the virus restrictions currently in effect. Are you ready? Here we go.
1. In Pennsylvania you are required to wear a mask. Outdoors, Indoor, without consideration of social distancing and, yes inside your own house. Reasonable? You be the judge. The requirement has nothing to do with a well reasoned scientific approach. If it did we’d be putting the masks on the sick and everyone else would be going about their business maskless.
2. In Oregon no more than 6 people are allowed at your home or you can face jail time. No it does not matter what the size of your family is. And it makes no difference what the size of your house is. Inviting your family over for the holidays is illegal in Oregon. However, crack cocaine isn’t illegal. Oregon just decriminalized Crack cocaine, you read that right. Eating Thanksgiving with family gets you jail time… crack cocaine is okay fine. Does this explain anything about the rioting in Portland? Hey, just asking…
3. In New Jersey singing inside your home is now illegal. Must be that the virus multiplies faster when it is in the presence singing. What do you think does science say louder sounds stimulate the virus? It is unclear whether you are allowed to hum along with tunes on the radio. It seems a little incongruous that people would be allowed to speak if they are not allowed to sing. Perhaps the people of New Jersey would be better off if their politicians were blocked from speaking until the people are allowed to sing. What do you think?
4. In Ohio the virus is showing an anomalous variation. There dancing and standing around at weddings is verboten. We were confused with the Pennsylvania, Oregon, and New Jersey virus rules. But the Ohio virus seems to be a variant of the motion-sensitive version New Jersey. Why the people of Pennsylvania weren’t similarly affected by the motion stimulated virus variants of New Jersey and Ohio? And what is the 10:00 PM curfew in Ohio related to? When did the virus become time-sensitive? It is all so confusing.
5. At least in Vermont, you don’t have to wear a mask in your home. Unfortunately, you cannot have anyone visit you at your home. It is unclear if the mail can be delivered, UPS can deliver, or if Grub Hub can deliver… If so why is delivery okay but breaking bread with family is not? But at least the governor is being reasonable. He’s threatening jail time for violators. The explanation of how that would be accomplished without violating the rules is unclear.
Guess what people? The U.S. Constitution is not suspended. With or without a declaration of emergency the U.S. Constitution is not suspended. Ignorance is in vogue these days. There are myriad examples of ignorant and irrational rulemaking with respect to the virus. The fatality rate is about zero point two percent. By some estimates, it is less.
And for that, we are tolerating curfews, masks, no singing rules, and capacity rules in our homes. The Declaration of Independence says. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness… That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it…”