The media should be holding Ocasio-Cortez accountable. She continues her string of profoundly ignorant and hateful statements. She makes her pronouncements often. If she were conservative, male, older, or less photogenic she would be mercilessly pilloried. But the media are no where to be found, they are not doing so. What should we conclude from this? They must agree with her as they appear to be promoting her and her pronouncements?
Responsibility for public utterances…
Unfortunately, she is an unserious person waging a propaganda campaign. She’s a performer attracting attention to odious extreme positions. She does not seem to have given them or their consequences much thought. She shoots straight from the lip, thriving on the attention drawn. The intention of her utterance is always to shock.
The latest example: “The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border, and that is what they are.” Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Democratic Socialist of N.Y.
Perhaps the Representative from New York would care to opine on: What is the difference between a Democratic Socialist and a Nationalist Socialist? Don’t misunderstand; she’s entitled to her opinion. But given her positional authority one expects what she offers to be informed opinions.
So let’s take note of AOC’s comparison; detention facilities in America with concentration camps of Nationalist Socialist Germany in WWII. Let’s see if the representative’s media offering is valid:
- The concentration camps of the Second World War were filled with the citizens of the nations in which they were collected. Those detained on the southern border are people who are not citizens of the United States. They have broken American law in their manner of entry, making them here illegally.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War were specifically designed for the mass extermination of human beings. The facilities America uses today provide healthcare for free as necessary.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War starved people. The pictures of the inhabitants of the WWII camps are horrific. American facilities provide proper food and water. For those having made a long trip to the border, this must be a viewed as a charitable act, performed by a beneficent nation.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War housed people put to work as slave labor. There is no labor required of those detained by America. They are not treated as slaves, not worked, let alone worked to death.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War were driven by religious and racist hatred the aim of which was to exterminate entire peoples. On America’s southern border no such activity is going on. In fact, in America today there is little race hatred excepting that which comes from leftists such as Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, Tlaib et alia.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War were infested with lice and fleas. Rats gnawed at the toes and fingers of sleepers. There are no such conditions in American facilities. Those detained are held in sanitary, clean, safe and well fed conditions.
- The concentration camps of the Second World War saw nearly a third of the prisoners die every week. The ill recovered without attention or they were put to death. There is no equivalent on America’s southern border.
There are no shallow trenches filled with decomposing bodies which cause “the earth rose like a yeasty mixture of dough and bubbled up nauseating gases, which spread for miles.” That description comes from the Nuremberg trials.
When one compares the United States to a Nazi-like state it is only responsible to understand the comparison. Perhaps AOC is ignorant of the subject matter. It is intellectual sloth causing people like Ocasio-Cortez to diminish the suffering of millions. It was a heinous act generating this reprehensible smear against America and Jews more broadly.
When your political party is responsible for the situation; the illegal immigration, the laws and facilities in place, it takes extraordinary gall to blame others for the results of your work. Listening to leftist champions of anti-Israel causes spouting off about America running concentration camps is cognitively dissonant. It can only be described as reprehensible. The Representative is not stupid, but she is ignorant. The media make themselves complicit in her propaganda campaign.