…even if it might look that way. However, as the issue of guns go for us, while almost every Grokster shoots (some WAY more than others), we see it as yet another infringement by Statists in determining what is and isn’t good for you as in “Why do you need that” and “I can’t understand why anyone would want that”. And none of these Progressives just don’t seem to understand the philosophy of Freedom. They miss the fundamental pillar of Freedom:
“it doesn’t matter if you don’t understand it – that is for law abiding citizens to decide for themselves”.
Like all Progressives, they never seemed to learn the lesson of “Mind your business” – even if you are a lawmaker. Guns seem to always be of this particular Progressive flaw – they cannot accept the idea that people want to do stuff with guns simply because they want to. Simple as that. In a free society, must there be more? Have we now turned into a Society (at least, that part that is not yet been absorbed by the actions of Government) whereby we MUST explain our selves? And does that mean that we are now automatically guilty (at least in the hot button Progressive issues) instead of innocent first?
Well, according the Chucky Schumer (D-Progressive Socialist of NY) and Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Progressive Socialist of TX):
First, we hear from Progressive Socialist Sheila Jackson-Lee, who believe gun owners aren’t American:
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on Wednesday afternoon urged people to turn in their guns, arguing it would be an appropriate response to last week’s mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.
“I would personally just say to those who are listening, maybe you want to turn in your guns,” Jackson Lee said on the House floor. “Oh no, I’m not going to take your guns. But look at what Dick’s Sporting Goods did … they wanted to be part of the solution and part of America.”
Nice on you for the h8te there, Sheila. Nice to see that just because we are “clinging” to something that is specifically enumerated in the Constitution, we are not part of America. Just because we refuse to bow down to a demagoging Socialist, we are part of the problem. Just because we aren’t willing to merely go with the emotion of the day, we are subjected to demonization (softly here, but if you have been over to Twitchy.com lately, the demogoguing turns into death wishes and threats).
Sidenote: you just gotta love the consistency of the Left – they cry to Heaven (er, at least the few that actually do believe there is a Heaven). Killing school aged kids is bad; killing babies in the womb – simply OK!
Then Schumer has an Op-Ed in the Washington Post whose essense is “middle ground” and ” why do you always go ‘slippery slope?”
In the current state of play, moderate gun owners have become convinced by the NRA and other, even more radical gun organizations such as Gun Owners of America that the goal of all gun-safety advocates is to take away their guns. These owners view even the most reasonable gun-safety proposals with suspicion, fearing a slippery slope to a ban on firearms. This paranoia is what gives the gun lobby its power.
No, it’s not paranoia – it’s knowing recent history of Progressives deciding that they know better how to live our lives for us (be it for good or bad). Take cigarettes, for instance (a “bad”):
- limited sales to minors
- limited advertising
- limited cigarette machines
- mandated warnings
- increased taxes
- can’t smoke in public buildings
- can’t smoke in public spaces like beaches and parks
- can’t smoke right outside a private building
- can’t smoke in most venues
- can’t smoke, in some areas, in your own car if there are kids in the car
- can’t smoke, in some areas, in a “connected condo” (like townhouses or apartment style condos) even if you own it.
Slippery slope? Certainly there’s been a slippery slope for this legal product that adults can use. How about cars – the Progressive Enviro-wackos have decided to use the force of Govt to decide what and how we can drive:
- mandates for all kinds of safety devices – and fines (hefty ones too) if you don’t use a seatbelt (NH being an exception)
- Ride a bike – get a helmet
- A process of increasing regulation so as to mold what we can buy – smaller cars are more expensive
- Use of regulation to all but mandate electric vehicles or IC engines in cars that when you and your spouse get in, there’s no room for the kids or groceries.
- “Planners” moving zoning towards “walkable solutions” so that we can blithely stay in a 10 block area our entire lives (er, we used to do that long ago – it was called the Medieval Ages) and “transitioning us” to all mass-transit.
Slippery slopes, Chuck? Yeah, that’s just two – Obamacare is gonna have a whole lot as it gets rolled out, and that’s just 3 quick examples. Trans-fats and the other examples of the Food Police (led by Michelle Obama and NYC Mayor Bloomberg)?
Or are you telling my my lying eyes are wrong?