Black Lives Matters (BLM) wants a lot of things. Like, no more cops. If you’d like an example of what that looks like, turn on your TV and watch the rioting. But they want that, among other things, like this list from BLM co-founder Chanelle Helm, in Lousiville.
1. White people, if you don’t have any descendants, will your property to a black or brown family. Preferably one that lives in generational poverty.
2. White people, if you’re inheriting property you intend to sell upon acceptance, give it to a black or brown family. You’re bound to make that money in some other white privileged way.
3. If you are a developer or realty owner of multi-family housing, build a sustainable complex in a black or brown blighted neighborhood and let black and brown people live in it for free.
4. White people, if you can afford to downsize, give up the home you own to a black or brown family. Preferably a family from generational poverty.
5. White people, if any of the people you intend to leave your property to are racists a**holes, change the will, and will your property to a black or brown family. Preferably a family from generational poverty.
6. White people, re-budget your monthly so you can donate to black funds for land purchasing.
7. White people, especially white women (because this is yaw specialty — Nosey Jenny and Meddling Kathy), get a racist fired. Yaw know what the f*ck they be saying. You are complicit when you ignore them. Get your boss fired cause they racist too.
8. Backing up No. 7, this should be easy but all those sheetless Klan, Nazi’s and Other lil’ d*ck-white men will all be returning to work. Get they ass fired. Call the police even: they look suspicious.
9. OK, backing up No. 8, if any white person at your work, or as you enter in spaces and you overhear a white person praising the actions from yesterday, first, get a pic. Get their name and more info. Hell, find out where they work — Get Them Fired. But certainly address them, and, if you need to, you got hands: use them.
10. Commit to two things: Fighting white supremacy where and how you can (this doesn’t mean taking up knitting, unless you’re making scarves for black and brown kids in need), and funding black and brown people and their work.
To summarize, rich people, you should consider giving us your sh*t! And to be honest, I’m OK with that. Numbers 7 through 9 are a bit subjective (especially in the identity politics era). Still, anyone who freely wishes to take up any of these other suggestions is more than welcome to do that. And so we are clear when Chanelle wrote this in 2017, she says, “Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made, and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings.”
She was paraphrasing Mandela who was wrong. Poverty is very natural. You can create your poverty, trap yourself in it, (not man-made by others but self-made) even when people give you their stuff or you get the government to do it for you. Poor white people make excuses for their poverty every day. It’s not a problem limited to race.
But back to Chanelle,
Helm said the post was meant for white readers who want to help eradicate economic and racial injustice, and was not meant as a “demand” for every white person in the country. She also pointed out, both in the post and when we spoke to her, that it was targeting only people who had the financial means to do so[.]
In other words, please don’t take it as a literal demand upon all people of non-color. And again, I’m still OK with that. I happen to think wealthy white Democrats should lead the way, seeing as the politicians they fund and elect are primarily responsible for suppressing the rights of Black Americans well into the 20th century and arguably to this very minute.
Democrats can also take credit for destroying black families, their educations, and by extension, their opportunities.
That brings me to my rebuttal list, which is very short, and it is simple and easy to implement. It works in whatever context Chanelle intended as well as addressing any number of other concerns. And if you have white-guilt, you can still give your stuff away or donate it; however, or to whomever, you see fit, for whatever reason you decide. But this truly is the best, long term resolution for any number of inequities (if not most of them) for a majority of African Americans willing to embrace real change.
- Stop voting for Democrats.
Update: Apologies for the extra ‘l’ in Nelson Mandela’s name. It has been removed.