Champaign Illinois has not one case of Wuhan Flu, but the mayor isn’t wasting the opportunity. She has issued an executive order maker her queen and allowing her to ban the sale of a laundry list of things (as an emergency measure) including firearms and ammunition.
In other words, should the SHTF, no one will be permitted to secure or enhance their right to defend themselves or their property. This is troublesome by itself, but more so because the list of things for sale that she has empowered herself to ban includes things you’d then have to steal to have them if you were prohibited from buying them.
After the declaration of an emergency, the Mayor may in the interest of public safety and welfare make any or all of the following orders and provide the following direction:
(1) Issue such other orders as are imminently necessary for the protection of life and property.
(2) Order a general curfew applicable to such geographical areas of the City or to the City as a whole, as the Mayor deems advisable, and applicable during such hours of the day or night as the Mayor deems necessary in the interest of public safety and welfare.
(3) Order the closing of all retail liquor stores, including taverns and private clubs or portions thereof wherein the consumption of intoxicating liquor and beer is permitted;
(4) Order the discontinuance of the sale of alcoholic liquor by any wholesaler or retailer;
(5) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, or giving away gasoline or other liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank properly affixed to a motor vehicle;
(6) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing or giving away of explosives or explosive agents, firearms or ammunition of any character whatsoever;
(7) Order the control, restriction and regulation within the City by rationing, issuing quotas, fixing or freezing prices, allocating the use, sale or distribution of food, fuel, clothing and other commodities, materials, goods or services or the necessities of life;
(8) (a) Order City employees or agents, on behalf of the City, to take possession of any real or personal property of any person, or to acquire full title or such lesser interest as may be necessary to deal with a disaster or emergency, and to take possession of and for a limited time, occupy and use any real estate to accomplish alleviation of the disaster, or the effects thereof;
So, they will control everything, you will obey.
It seems a bit excessive, especially since no one in town has the virus and no one near the town has it either. But you never let a crisis go to waste. And then you clarify what you meant. The clarification wasn’t terribly clear as regards the original declaration because the clarification doesn’t address anything in it.
What is clear is that the current council and mayor seem a bit too eager to embrace the most tyrannical course available and that voters should avail themselves of any opportunity to replace them at the next opportunity.
Assuming they have not outlawed elections before then. You know, for the good of the community.
Update: Wrong Champaign -corrected everything but the permalink.