The California Values Act is meant to make all law enforcement agencies into sanctuaries for illegal aliens. It prohibits cooperation with ICE and Customs and Border Patrol. But not every Chief or Sheriff is on board. In fact, over 40% of them are still cooperating.
The report from the University of Oxford Centre for Criminology-Border Criminologies reveals what many law enforcement agencies are doing to get around the law. The report is critical of those moves and calls on the state to crack down on agencies that help ICE to find and remove criminal illegals.
Tangent alert! The University of Oxford is investigating California Law Enforcement to find out if they are letting “illegal” aliens arrested for crimes go free? Or, if they are contacting ICE and CPB to have them removed from the country? From the report, care of the Washington Examiner.
“…there is much work to be done by the State to bring LEAs into full compliance with SB 54 and to ensure that the law is not undermined through the exploitation of its policy exceptions.
Any bets on who paid for that research paper?
As for the LEO’s who have chosen to follow Federal immigration law regarding illegal entrants,
- 24 out of 58 sheriff’s departments, 41 percent, are using a legal loophole to publish the whereabouts and release dates of criminal illegal immigrants ICE wants. “This practice provides ICE an opportunity to detain and deport people at the point of release from law enforcement agency custody,” said Oxford.
- Many agencies are still not in compliance with the law. The report found that 68 out of 169, or about 40 percent, were not in compliance.
- Some let ICE into jails to seize illegals. Said the report, “Given that in these ‘releases,’ there is no effective break in the chain of custody from LEAs to ICE, these arrests are de facto in custody transfers that nonetheless likely are not recorded or reported as such to the California Attorney General as a part of annual reporting mandated.”
- Officers continue ask criminal suspects their immigration status.
- Some of those arrested are detained longer than normal to help immigration enforcement.
- Space is sometimes provided to ICE.
Rule of Law went sideways in CA years ago. I suspect that these peace officers have seen more tragedy at the hands of illegal alien criminals than they can take and have chosen to take a stand instead. It’s a lot like how California is refusing to follow Federal Law just on a different scale.
New Hampshire had a bill this session that required local law enforcement to follow Federal law on immigration. Democrats killed it. Probably so they could vote to let them get Driver’s licenses and then vote for Democrats.