“One of them showed him a Roman coin, and he asked them whose head and inscription were on it. They answered, “Caesar’s,” and he responded: “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s”. Matt 22:20
[Jeanette] Vizguerra pleaded guilty to using a fake ID in order to work in 2009. ICE officials say they’ve already granted her six stays of removal, and declined to issue another. That’s when Vizguerra sought refuge in the church rather than face deportation to Mexico.
“It is our position as a people of faith that this is sacred, and faithful work,” said the Rev. Mike Morran during the news conference at his church. “We know Jeanette. We know her to be an honorable human being.”
But critics say the church is violating law.
“It is illegal for anyone to deliberately and knowingly shield an illegal alien from detection by federal authorities,” says Jessica Vaughan, policy director at the Center for Immigration Studies, a nonprofit organization that favors less immigration.
“Potentially these church leaders could be placing their parish at risk for prosecution and fines,” Vaughan says. “I hope it won’t come to that.”
OK, let’s quickly summarize:
- Jeannette Viguerra broke US law by illegally coming into the country
- She then doubled down by lying about who she was by using a fake ID
- She may have deprived a US Citizen of a job by illegally working
- She had SIX chances to come clean, fess up, and honorably face the consequences of her decisions – she didn’t
- It is clear that she has put herself before The Rule of Law, one of the pillars of American Exceptionalism. This is someone we want here?
And yes, the Rev. is in the wrong as well. Seems like he is enamoured more by a Social Gospel than by The Gospel. He may have to answer to an Earthly power but methinks there might be a larger judgement in the future.
Sidenote: Law Enforcement should go after her employer for illegally employing her
“…go and sin no more”. John 8:11