“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
…and not just the “hide the truth” by gun controllers that it is for “hunting, sport, and self-defense”. Rasmussen has the data (emphasis mine):
- 65% of American Adults think the purpose of the Second Amendment is to make sure that people are able to protect themselves from tyranny. Only 17% disagree, while another 18% are not sure.
- 72% of those with a gun in their family agree with the premise. Even without gun ownership, 57% still believe in that purpose.
- Agree? 54% of Democrats, 75% of Republicans, 68% of Independents
- 60% would rather live in a neighborhood where they can own a gun and most would feel safer if their children attended a school with an armed security guard
- A plurality believes dealing with mental health issues will lead to more effective results.
The survey of 1,000 Adults was conducted on January 16-17, 2013 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.
- 74% of all Americans continue to believe that the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right of an average citizen to own a gun.
- 17% disagree. These views haven’t changed in nearly four years of surveying.
- 17%) believe there is too much individual freedom in the United States today.
- 66% of Likely U.S. Voters believe in America today there is too much government power and too little individual freedom. Sixty percent (60%) feel the federal government today does not have the consent of the governed.
- Americans are now evenly divided over whether the federal government is a protector of individual rights or a threat to those rights.
Read the third from the bottom bullet – I guess these folks would rather live in a totalitarian regime rather than having the freedom to make their own decisions.
Progressives / Democrats / Socialist scoff at the idea that the United States Government could ever become a tyrannical one; after all, their end game IS for Government to make all major decisions and many of the minor ones for Society. Yet in advocating for such a Utopia, isn’t that really the essence of Tyranny, to remove the freedom of choice from the ordinary person to make their own decision?
Progressives believe ONLY the only source of Tyranny comes from an invasion. They absolutely refuse to acknowledge, as our Founders foresaw, that Tyranny can also come from the inside.